Today, ESRS is the leading European association for scientists involved in the study of agriculture and fisheries, food production and consumption, rural development and change, rurality and cultural heritage, equality and inequal ity in rural society, and nature and environmental care. The membership in the ESRS is open to people in- and outside Europe who are interested in the study of rural questions.
The objectives of ESRS are:
- to stimulate and promote the development of rural sociology
- to foster closer relations between rural sociologists, other social scientists, and practitioners with an interest in agricultural development, rural society and the environment
- to promote international co-operation and the exchange of information and experience in the field of rural sociological research
- to provide a forum in Europe for the discussion of issues related to rural change
- to encourage the training of young social scientists within an international framework.